Wednesday, August 15, 2007

An ode to Fall!

Oh how I dislike the end of summer, for a reason very different from why most people don't like the end. Most people do not want summer to end. They dread August because it is the end of summer. I on the other hand, dislike the end of summer, because I can not wait for fall to start. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE fall! And waiting for September to finally get here is awful for me.


Aren't I strange? My whole life, I've always been a fall person, but have yet to clearly pin point a reason...there are too many! I love the colors, warm and homey! I love the scents - dusty, and burning, apples and cinnamon! I love that I can put away the shorts and hide behind jeans and sweaters again - funny but true! I love "back to school" - I am always reminded of a line from You've Got Mail - "I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils." I love a football game on a cool crisp night. I love to cozy up to the fireplace and hear it crackle. I love pumpkins and jack-o- lanterns, and scarecrows. I love that fall, in my mind, means slowing down, reconnecting with friends and family after a busy summer, and just taking it easy... summer always seems to be such a whirlwind. And, I love getting ready for the holiday festivities...Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas - all come to quickly with such anticipation.

There is no doubt in my mind that that the next few months will come quickly and fly by. My classes begin in two weeks. Lucas starts preschool in three. Back to the church schedule, music team, etc. in two weeks. And, before we know it, baby will be arriving. I had my 26 week appt. on Monday and the NP and I were talking about how fast fall babies seem to arrive. I still can't believe that baby will be here in less than 14 weeks!

While I look forward to this fall, I do rejoice that our family had a wonderful summer. We got our puppy, and spent a lot of time as a family, outside. We were able to spend time at the lake, swimming and enjoying boat and jet ski rides. Jeff and I got to take a vacation, we had a great family reunion with my Dad's side and just really enjoyed summer.

So here's to the dog days - we hope summer has been good for you and that we can look forward to seeing all of our friends and family as fall approaches.

1 comment:

Laura B. said...

I love your ode to fall, Andrea!! It makes me more excited for it!