Have you all seen "Parenthood" with Steve Martin? There is a great analogy in there about a ferris wheel and a roller coaster. At one point, Mary Steenburgen says - "I happen to like the roller coaster." I agree.
It has been a long time since I have blogged and life has moved at such an amazingly fast yet slow pace. We have too much going on, not enough time to do any of it, and just enough time to drive each other nuts! Poor Jeff, and me too I suppose, but I am not the one trying to analyze a hormonal woman all the time, so I'll leave it at "Poor Jeff!"
We are both busy with school, Jeff's work, and I have commitments at church so between the three things, we see each other about 10 minutes a day! It's crazy. Remind me in the future not to over commit. I sometimes need to learn to say no!
Despite the busy life we lead, I am finding that I have really started to notice the little things the boys are doing that make me smile. I think that because there is so much rush, rush, rush, I am aware of the small moments and am trying to take them all in. Of course it could also be that I realize in 2-4 weeks our family dynamic is going to change, so I am savoring the little times with the boys as much as possible - I remember feeling like that when Alex was almost here - I spent lots of time just eating up Lucas!
So some high points with the kiddos, despite all of the craziness -
1) I was so emotional yesterday, feeling like a whale, huge, cranky, tired, and crying. My precious 3 year old came up to me, grabbed my face in his hands and said "You are so beautiful, mommy." Then I REALLY started to cry :) This guy is a charmer, and he just was what I needed at the time. Last night, I went into his room for a long time and just stared at him thanking God for the precious boy.
2) Alex has become our little clown. Anything he does makes me smile - he's always out for a laugh. A few days ago, he brought all of his cars to me and started driving them over my 35 week belly. I am sure the baby inside appreciated that! Well, if you have to be huge, you might as well be a mountain for you little child's imagination and adventures!
3) Alex wants to go to bed with a ball every night. I think some sports are in his future!
4) Lucas used blue crayon to "make tracks"for his trains all over our carpet - that had just been cleaned (and cost $230!!! But you know what, they are only little once, and if his imagination said he needed tracks, then I guess thats what we'll have!
5) Alex decided to help me clean today. I guess he thought the bathroom floor was dirty, because I came upstairs and all of the water that had been in the toilet, was all over the floor and sweet as he is, he was using a towel to clean!
I savor my little boys and realize how fleeting these precious moments are, so despite the craziness of our lives, I am so glad God is able to remind me to step back, take it all in and enjoy the ride.
2 comments:
It's not always easy to look at "blue tracks" and know that it's just what someone needed at that moment. I can't pretend to understand the state of a hormone infused pregnant lady, but your appreciative nature seems to be overcoming all else. Thanks so much for the update, Andrea. I hope these last few weeks of pregnancy are calm and that you and Jeff get more than 10 minutes together. :-)
I absolutely love the movie Parenthood!!
I'll be thinking of you in these next couple of weeks :)
Post a Comment