Saturday, October 4, 2008

Birthday, Qwest and other randomness

I had a great week. I really did. On Tuesday, I celebrated another year. I'm 29. It was really a great day. Right away in the morning, Jeff and the kids wished me a happy birthday and gave me a gift certificate for a massage (ahhhhhh - I knew they loved me). I talked to my mom for awhile on the way to work, and when I got to the church everyone wished me a happy birthday. I got to go out to a long lunch with my friend and her baby. Later in the day, 2 of my coworkers serenaded me with "Happy Birthday." That evening, we went to my parents' house and they made me all of my favorites. I requested Potato Dumplings, Meat Loaf, corn and Pineapple Upside Down Cake. It's so great to have a mom and dad who still make your favorite food on your birthday! I also got LOTS of Facebook comments! Whohoo!

It really was a great day. I always thought that birthdays don't matter that much, but really - it's a good feeling to be celebrated. In a book I cited for my Small Group Training Course this year, there is an excellent section on how people need to be celebrated and feel important. Not the "look at me, I'm awesome" kind of important, but the "you are special" thing. We need to feel celebrated in this crazy world, and after my birthday last week, I believe it. We spend too much time this day and age reading about all the bad, going, going, going, busy, and knocking people down that one day of being treated is a good thing!

So - that was early this week. The Youth Team took a quiet week this week. We have a CRAZY month coming, so we savored the quiet. I took most of Thursday and Friday off...

But then cam Qwest. OH MY GOODNESS. So the story goes - bad service, call for help, 3 + hours on the phone. I'll be honest. I was in tears. Like, literally crying. And here's why - I see my children only a few hours a day. And, when I have to call on a problem and it takes a total of 3 hours over 2 calls, it makes me very frustrated and sad. I don't like to call and complain the way it is, but when you couple that with frustration and having to call ALL the time because the service is horrible (seriously, I've had to call once every 2 weeks thus far!) and then be put on hold forever - it makes me turn into a monster. I was just so sad - because the time spent on the phone is time I can't be giving the kids... and then - they don't do a darn thing anyways!

GRRRR

Anyhow - last night, Jeff and I went out for a date, for my birthday - it was fun. We also got our new bed yesterday. Heavenly! Oh man, did we need a new bed. Today, we go to the Bison Homecoming game. It should be fun. Then, next week - the zoo begins again at work. Back to the 50 + ...

3 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you had a nice birthday! Hope work isn't too crazy. Find some time to relax and enjoy!

Laura B. said...

Your birthday dinner sounds delicious!!
Sorry about camQuest. What the heck??! Who needs technology?!

I miss you, Andrea~!

Laura B. said...

Oh. Quest. Then CAME Quest.
Funny.