Well happy new year to you. Although, at this point I don't know if anybody will ever read this. I just figured after a couple of my old college friends started blogs that I should too. Maybe it's an attempt by me to write - yep that would be it! Actually, I want to start documenting a little of what goes on in my life. I have NEVER been one to journal but I do like to spend a little time on the computer, and this can be a new year resolution! Also, as a new stay at home mom (just started that again!) I want to keep track of what happens in my life and the lives of my boys...
Also, I guess I have another reason for all of this. (Prepare for soapbox lecture!) Our society does not recieve stay at home moms very well. Often, people view SAHM's in a negative light. There are many detractors, and as a result, a SAHM often winds up feeling as if they have let down women everywhere or are not contributing to family or society. Try going out sometime to a large function and telling people you stay at home. People don't think you have anything to say or to talk about, or an opinion. Oddly, many people in society view SAHM's as uneducated. Now, I will admit that some who stay at home fit the stereotype (as is always the case with everything - someone will always fit into a specifc steryotype) . But let me tell you...
The SAHM's I know and communicate with are not uneducated. Many of us have at least our bachelors and in a lot of cases, advanced degrees. Some of us do work a couple hours a week. We are interested in society, we are adament about our political views, mostly because we worry endlessly about what the future holds for our kids. We have many dreams and goals. And, it is our choice to stay home. I quote him all the time, but once, when I questioned my decision to stay home, my brother said in all his glorious sarcasm "Ya know Andrea, the world doesn't need any more, normal, well adjusted people!" And whenever I remember Ross' words, I know that I have made the right choice!
So I am going to blog, to let all of you into this life of mine...
1 comment:
I agree about the whole society vs. "SAHMs". Lucky for me, I have seen some amazing (and educated) moms in action in their daily lives... and staying home does not appear to be a "break"! I'm actually rethinking my want to be at home when I have babies, because I think holding a full-time job might be easier! ;-) Seriously, though, I admire you! Lots of love to you and your 3 boys! xoxo!
Post a Comment