Monday, May 19, 2008

Channeling Forrest

I ran the half-marathon this weekend. What an experience. I can't believe I finished. I decided on Friday 5/16 to run. I trained a bit earlier this year (Jan-March), but when the job stuff started, I quit training. But on Friday, I decided "What the heck-I can walk most of it if I want. My goal was to finish in 4 hours, which averages out to about an 18 minute mile. I am happy to report that I finished quite a bit faster than that. Next year, my goal is to cut my time by about 1/2 hour. Then, maybe the NEXT year, I'll run the full marathon. It really was a lot of fun. Jeff volunteered for traffic control and worked at mile 26/13, so he and the boys got to see me near the end of the race. (Lis stayed at home with Grandma P.) It really was a great run. The spectators fuel the adrenaline like you wouldn't believe! I paced myself with a couple of great people along the way, and we really had fun. And, it's exciting to finish in the Dome.

A Healthy Breakfast before the big run...


At the start:



Seeing my babies at the (almost) finish. This is Alex coming to give me a big kiss!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Awesome, Andrea! Congratulations. I would have loved to do that with you... maybe we need to find another run to do together!

Such a great accomplishment. I'm proud of you!

Laura B. said...

Andrea, I'm really happy for you. And that your family was there to cheer you on...!

You're an amazing person - very inspirational. I so enjoy reading your blog.

Keep us posted about the job opportunities, please!~