Saturday, December 6, 2008

Mental Health Time... Ahhhhh

It's 9:30 on Saturday December 6. And I think I am nearly in heaven. Everyone is sleeping. I've got a fire burning, the Christmas lights are on, an evergreen scented candle is burning, You've Got Mail is on TV and a Santa Hat is atop my head. What could make it better you ask? Two Diet Cokes, 2 pieces of Lefse and Venison sausage...AHHH! I haven't had this is so dang long. Everyday is so hectic, the kids keep us hopping, and normally by this time, I'm exhausted. But, there is something oddly invigorating about an organized house amidst the chaos! And, I really believe that women do not - absolutely do not - take the time to pamper themselves with things that calm them. We get so busy taking care of everyone around us that we forget to take care of ourselves. So tonight...I'm doing that!

We had a great day. For the first time in weeks, the entire house (ah hem: upstairs) is clean, organized, and the Christmas tree is up. I must say - it looks so nice up there. The family spent the evening downstairs, putting up the "family" tree, enjoying the fire and going through all of our special ornaments. The kids have so many special ones. The tree is full! I think we'll so have to get a bigger tree. But the boys had a great time putting up their ornaments, and asking questions about them. Lis played with all the boxes and tissue paper!

But, a great day was what we needed after this week. It was actually good in general, save for the paint disaster. Yeah - last Sunday, an ENTIRE can of paint bounced down the steps, lost the top after the first bounce and splattered paint everywhere - which in turn led to new carpet, which in turn led to tearing the house apart to get it installed, which in turn led to the chaos that we got cleaned up today. It looks really nice though, and the best part: it was el cheapo. 79 cents/square foot. Also, because it wasn't all ruined, we repurposed some of it, and Isi now has new carpet in her room! So the week was spent in total limbo --- which taught us a few valuable lessons.

1) Paint at the top of the steps is a bad idea. If it has to go down, for gosh sakes - take it downstairs.

2) Only re carpet a few rooms at a time.

3) We will never remodel because of the chaos.

This last one is a big deal, because we were in full swing of remodeling plans. We were going to change our kitchen, move the laundry downstairs, add a garage stall and build a mudroom. Seriously - the plans are drawn and we've spent a couple hundred on drawings/etc. But, better to find out this way then get a divorce midway through :) Nope - no longer - ain't gonna happen. We're going to move instead (when the time comes.)

Anyways - have a great weekend. I am going to continue my heaven, add some Mannheim Steamroller to the mix and start wrapping gifts :) Oh - and a little treat...here's the fam with Santa!

1 comment:

Chyeeah said...

Jimminy Crickets..
The paint can bouncing down the stairs- the description made me actually see it.
Tragic, but at the same time, really funny.
In my head the paint was blue.

Probably not in real life though.

It would be great to talk though, your happy family is so beautiful!
I love that your so involved in the church youth. I wish I could have had youth adult involvement with such a healthy head on their shoulders.

Have a ton of fun in Mexico!

Marcia, Mom, and I had our first family vacation in Juarez building houses. It was an awesome trip.

My best wishes to you in the coming year, as well!