I think the books I've done so far deserve some props.
1) Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey.
This book is awesome, proposing a new way to deal with and handle money. It's completely counter-cultural in that it condones SAVING money and not being concerned about stuff. It's a fast read, and I appreciate the Biblical References.
2) The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
PHENOMENAL book. Here's a very general description from the authors website:
"A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life...as only a dog could tell it."
What I love, love, love about his book are the metaphors of life. As you read the book you come to realize that the "art of racing in the rain" is truly how we learn to and successfully maneuver the life challenges we face. Another commonly used line in the book is "the car goes where the eyes go" and it just hits home that our lives (car) are the result of how we look at and address the situations we face (eyes). AWESOME, clever book.
3) The Love Dare
I just started this one, but it was heavily hyped during the time "Fireproof" was released. If you haven't seen Fireproof, you should. Great movie. Yes, it is heavy on evangelical faith based "giving your life to Christ" references, but if you are apprehensive about that - look beyond it and realize what the movie is saying about MARRIAGE...
So why do I think The Love Dare is great? Because it's a great, self-reflective book that addresses what it means to be married and what it entails to be 1/2 of a marriage.
So - I am keeping up with my Resolutions and greatly enjoying the reading challenge!
No comments:
Post a Comment