Monday, January 10, 2011

A Week After the Resolutions

I made myself some New Year's Resolutions this year. I am not usually a resolutions person. It seems so...cliche, I guess. And it's always the same, isn't it? Lose 40 lbs (and then open a big box of chocolates).

So, instead of setting New Year's goals that are arbitrary and can't easily be measured, I decided on some lifestyle changes. I'm 31 and am not getting any younger. I decided on the following:

1) Eat more healthy, balanced meals and snacks (Not to lose weight, but to be a good model for my kids)

2) Cut up all Credit Cards and live on cash only

3) Read one book a month.

4) Run 2 races (1/2 in May, 10k in October)

5) Exercise 3 times a week - basic, like walking or riding bike

6) Cut down on Diet Coke consumption - to 4 or less cans a day.

7) Drink 3 L. of water a day


So which ones have I done? Most of them (except the races - can't very well run in 5 feet of snow...). I have cut down my pop to 2 - 3 cans a day. It's awesome. It's still an addiction, but I am confident I can cut down. I am keeping to very nearly 3 L of water a day. I haven't swiped a credit card - not even my debit card - since Dec. 29. And, I've read two books already.


I really do want to keep these resolutions because they are more positive lifestyle changes than anything. Doing the above will promote not only a healthy life for me, but a great role model for my kiddos, my husband and the countless kids I work with.


By the way. I realize that 4 cans of soda is a lot, still. But when you've started at 8+...yeah. Baby steps.

No comments: