Tuesday, April 3, 2007

It's A Special Day

Hello - today is Alex's first birthday!

A year ago today, I was admitted to Meritcare at this time, wondering why in the world I had to be at the hospital at 6:30am if the nurses didn't even change shift until 7:00! At this point, I had changed into my gown, and was waiting anxiously to see for the first time the little creature inside me. Six easy labor hours and three good pushes later, he was here - all 10 1/2 pounds of him. Last night, I lay awake for quite awhile thinking about how a year prior, I was so nervous and so excited to meet Alex. I was worried about how my relationship with Lucas would change. I was apprehensive about the reality of the cleft. But most of all, I just could not wait to meet my second little miracle from God. I can assure you that night, I only got four hours of sleep!

So, how do you measure a year? The song title from "Rent" made me think of how one measures the first year in the life of a child. In bottles? In jars of baby food? In "firsts?" In diapers? In outfits? In smiles? In surgeries? And, like the song, I think "how about Love." I love this little guy more than anything in the world - yes, love seems like a great measure for Alex's first year.

As I think back on the past year, I remember being worried about what he would look like - I was concerned about the severity of the cleft. I remember the first three Loooooonnnngggg months, as the poor boy tried to learn how to eat. I remember the worry and hand-wringing during his first surgery, and crying when he came out, because he looked so different, yet so much the same. We have rejoiced in his progress, and his progression from infant to toddler. We are so, so very lucky to have children, and today, I give thanks to God for the gift of Alex.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Alex! Be good but make sure to give your mom a little mischief :o)

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday Alex..
You are sharing your first birthday with your cousin David who is celebrating his 25th birthday today..
Your mommy and I both gave birth to sons on this special day.

Have a good one..Aunt Linda

Laura B. said...

Andrea, Happy Birthday to your sweet little boy. What a lovely tribute to him you wrote!

Anonymous said...

Happy First Birthday Alex! I hope that you had a wonderful day. You share your birthday with one of the greatest guys I know, my brother David aka Uncle David to Levi and Braxton!
We can't wait to celebrate with you this weekend.

Katie