Saturday, March 31, 2007

Busy end to a busy week

Hello blog world...

What a week. I subbed all week long, and learned a few things. First, I do love to teach. I was subbing in English, but they were studying Civil War era literature, so I got to help them understand the Gettysburg Address, Fredrick Douglass, and Robert E. Lee. It was wonderful to have that feeling of helping someone learn. Second, I don't necessarily like to teach high school aged kids. I always used to but the apathy and lack of interest was totally disheartening. Third, I want to continue my education, so that I can teach college aged kids! And finally, at this point in my life, I want to be home with my kids more than anything else.

Which brings me to another point. While I was subbing this week, I picked up a copy of "Glamour" magazine, which the teacher had in her room. Now I can assure you that Glamour is NOT a typically read for me. However, there was an article/book review about SAHMs in this issue about how women regret it because it ruins their careers. Now, I will admit that I sometimes worry that I may not get back into teaching because of my choice, but this article really bothers me.

I will NEVER regret my decision to raise my kids. Even if it means a different path in life for me, or lower pay when I do jump back into Career World. Also, the article discussed how so many SAHM get left in the dirt when their hubby's divorce them. My feeling to this is that a) they weren't married to that great of men to begin with b) their hubby's never were really behind their decision and c) just because marriage hit the skids, doesn't mean that your children are to blame for the financial situation/divorce/lack of job prospects. (I'll get off my soapbox soon, I promise!) I know that being a SAHM is not always a walk in the park, but articles and books like this just infuriate me. ANYONE who leaves a profession for ANY REASON is bound to run into difficulty going back to a career - why do they always focus on us SAHMs? Okay, off that...

Today, we were busy at home. It's a rainy, gloomy day, a day perfect for doing stuff around the house. I made a birthday cake for Al's first, as well as some treats for Easter. I also painted our hallway, and realized while I love to decorate, I HATE TO PAINT! Jeff and Lyle worked on tearing down the ol' doghouse out back and burned it, so that eyesore is gone! Lucas went to see Curious George and then it was 5:50! Wow how the day flies.

Tomorrow is Palm Sunday so we are gonna go to church and prepare for Holy Week. We also are celebrating MIL birthday tomorrow too! Should be a fun day - then it will be back to the week - and I'll be home this week - right where I want to be!

No comments: