Sunday, February 24, 2008

Tolerate, Accept, Respect, Embrace: A Meme of Sorts

Okay, here's one. Last week at my class, Kari was talking about the whole "Teaching Tolerance" movement in education. And she made an excellent point. The verb of Tolerance is "Tolerate." Do we really want our students to just "tolerate" differences? The assignment was to list 10 things you tolerate, accept, respect, and embrace, as well as a few things of each that your don't. So, I encourage you to try this! It's kind of interesting, when you think about it. And it taught me that we shouldn't "Teach Tolerance." Instead we need to celebrate diversity. So, here goes. As you think about this, they don't all have to be I statements, etc. Instead - when you think of the word , what are things that can be tolerated, accepted, etc. Have fun - and learn something about where you stand!

I tolerate:

Illness
Bad days

Cranky People
A sore back
Slow drivers
Poor parenting skills
Long lines
Crappy Television
A messy house (barely)

The slow pace of weight loss!

I do not tolerate:
Close-minded people (i.e. Racism, Bigotry, Ignorance)
Not being heard
Feeling like I don’t have an important voice.


I respect:
My dreams and goals (as impossible as they sometimes seem)
People who have been through horrible things
Pastor Jess
People who can admit when they are wrong
Differences
The need to change
Myself
Those trying to make a difference, even if they fail
Lynda
My husband, Jeff


I do not respect:

Words but no actions
Hypocrites
Laziness


I accept:
Changes in life.
Challenges (as hard as they may be)

Cash
A proposal
Differences (in opinion, among other things)
A job offer
That I can’t always control things
Terms and conditions
The direction life takes me
Responsibility


I do not accept:
That women are the weaker sex (Has a man delivered a child ???)
That there is a superior race, creed, color, gender or religion
Inequity in education


I embrace:
Life
My family (Jeff and Kids)
Opportunity


I do not embrace:
Hatred

1 comment:

Laura B. said...

I like this list, Andrea. You're such an inspiring person.

Thanks for your interest in my poem! I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to post it, but if I don't I'll send you a copy. I also still have your gift from a bunch of months ago, but it's so hard for me to get to the post office. I've also been waiting for the address of the other woman in the "pay it back" thing, because I have something for her, but she hasn't sent it. I'll get yours in the mail soon! It's something small, but still - I think you'll enjoy it.

I hope you're well!