Monday, November 17, 2008

A nice weekend and excitement for the next 6 weeks

We've had a great couple of weeks since my last post. After the long hours I put in during October, I laid low, took it easy, and maybe worked 25 hours/ week over the last two (yay for church work!) While those two weeks were long and hard during October the awesome part is that when it's slow, we are encouraged to take it easy. NICE! So I really did just chill.

On Thursday Jeff and I took off for a 4 day getaway to Mpls. It had been about a year and a half since we went away and we did enjoy our time. Jeff had meetings on Friday, so I did what any self-respecting mother with an entire day to herself would do...scrapbooked. Yes, I have officially fallen into the catagory of crazy, but Lis turns one in 9 days and I hadn't done a thing on her book since last January! I got 28 pages done and I am so happy. I was feeling pretty guilty about how little I had gotten done, but I am excited about how nice the pages turned out.

Friday night, Jeff and I went to IKEA. I really love that store for lots of reasons, but the one that takes the cake is the low cost. We were able to get all of the kids all of their christmas gifts for 110 dollars. Really! I know that seems like a lot, but we got them some pretty neat things. The boys are really into doing puppet shows lately, so we got them 6 hand puppets and a little stage. They also like "camping" and IKEA had this little pup tent for 9.00, so that went in the cart as well. And, of course, we can't forget about Isi , who got a little wooden table and chairs set for her room and future tea parties.

What I really, really love about IKEA (aside from cost) is that all of the kids toys are creative in nature. It's pretty clear that the Scandinavians are not addicted to television, computers, video games and movies when you are in that store. They have books, puppets, art supplies, neat kids reading lights, and so much more. And, given that Jeff and I refuse to introduce the kiddo's to video games and let them have TV's/computers in thier room - it fits us very well!

On Saturday, I got up early and scrapped some more, then Jeff and I went to the Mall of America. We continued to shop for christmas and were fortunate to get many of our gifts for family purchased. After shopping for the day, we enjoyed a Minnesota Wild Hockey game at the Xcel center. Jeff enjoyed the game. I enjoyed watching the thoroughly wasted lady in front of us. Wow! I've been wasted before, I assure you - but if I am that wasted when I am 45 (as she was) I think I'll be a little more than embarrassed. It was a fun game, and the Wild won in a shootout. Exciting for sure. We got home last Sunday and made a fire with the kids. Really a great day!

Today I spent at home with the kids, after preschool and speech of course. Alex started speech a few weeks ago, so we do a bit of shuttleing on M - W - F. But it's been a nice day. I cleaned out the fridge (I can guarentee you THAT was disgusting after the October we had - nuff said) and reorganized the pantry. I am excited for the next week - Lis turns 1 next Wednesday and then thanksgiving on Thursday, followed by the rush of Day After Thanksgiving shopping. Mom and I always go - I enjoy the spectacle more than the actual shopping!

We wish you a good couple of weeks. It's been snowing here and there and a local radio station has gone to all Christmas music, all the time - so it's a good thing!

2 comments:

Laura B. said...

I'm glad you and Jeff had a nice time away, Andrea. That's so important - .
I've never been to IKEA! It sounds like a really neat place.
Enjoy this holiday season!

April said...

Sounds like a great little getaway! Glad you had fun.

I like IKEA too! There are some really neat things there.

Ooh- and Christmas music all the time? I'm ready!
Have a great Thanksgiving!