Bad luck on Wednesday leads to a long weekend. Every road to where I live is under construction. Last Wednesday, the workers hit the electrical lines (or something like that) and we lost power. The subsequent power outage fried our computer. We were unable to get a picture. I took it into Best Buy to the Geek Squad and was told that they could fix the power supply, but that it may not actually fix the whole problem. So, instead of spending over $200 on that, I opted for the $90 plan to save my entire Hard drive on a disk and we'll just transfer it all to the lap top we got a month ago.
Why a long weekend you may wonder. Answer: 7000+ pictures of our children over the past three years and NONE of them from the past 2 were backed up to a disk. Which means... if they can not back up the Hard Drive, we have no pictures of Lisa and very, very few of Alex. The guy told me that he was very confident that they'd be able to recover all the pics, but still - I am a wreck and just kicking myself. I had told myself THAT DAY that I need to get on the computer and back everything up to a disk. When I got home, too late. Pray that they will be successful. I am so worried about this.
AND - a reminder to all...back up your pictures and docs. It's not just the pictures - it was also all of our resumes, and our Masters work...including my 1/2 finished thesis. Also - did you know that one power surge can ruin your surge protector and if so, your computer is not covered? So, if you ever come home to a power outage, you should change your surge protector strip (according to the guy).
Let's all hope that our situation falls into that 84% success rate the Geek Squad has and NOT the 16% failure rate.
Grrrrr....
1 comment:
Oh, Andrea, that stinks! I'll keep my fingers crossed that all of your pictures and data are recovered.
Post a Comment