Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Backed Up!

Well, I talked to the guys at the computer place today, and the back up worked. Whew...we still have pictures of the kids and our masters theses. We'll call that luck.

We've had a good couple of days. Busy - as always. My dad retires Friday after 29 years working at the same place, so we celebrated yesterday. His coworkers threw him quite the party. There were a lot of people there, both former and current employees, and quite a few of mom and dad's friends. Jeff and I had the kids there for most of the party, both of my brothers made it and dad enjoyed showing them - and maybe Ross, Steve and I - off.

It's strange to think that when my dad started this job, I wasn't even born yet! People just don't stick with one job these days. I think the last stats I read showed that the average person works/does 8 different careers in their life! Our generation jumps around and changes jobs so fast. Jeff has worked at 2 banks already in 6 years. I've done more than a few different things since graduating college. I taught, I worked as an interior designer, went back to cooking for a (very) short while and am now at the church. So really, to think of 29 years is really unreal for our generation.

I am proud of my dad. He's worked REALLY hard all these years. He stayed at the same place because it was best for his family. He pulled some pretty strange hours sometimes and was basically on call for as long as I can remember. But its really cool to see all that he accomplished. His building is gorgeous. He oversaw many, many, many remodels, moves, building changes and additions. Being at BCBSND yesterday, and observing how awesome the place looks, I felt really proud. Even more, though - was the number of people who came to wish him well. I feel pretty confident saying that he's earned and maintained a lot of respect of the years. I'm proud of him...

Now - I wonder what he'll do next :)

No comments: