Friday, March 16, 2007

Things that make you remember...

Last night, I was hungry for cereal. I went out to the kitchen, and poured myself a bowl of Wheat Chex. Of course, it wasn't until after I had poured the bowl that I realized we were out of skim milk. But, we had a bunch of whole milk that had to be used. So, I poured the whole milk on, doused the cereal with sugar, and immediately, I was transported back in time.

Wheat Chex with Whole Milk always reminds me of being at grandpa and grandma's house. They always have this cereal and only have whole milk. I guess you could say it's a comfort food. As a child, grandpa and I would sit down to breakfast together, and this was my cereal of choice (on days that grandma didn't make french toast!) And, when we have peaches, I can't resist the high calorie content of cream and sugar - another childhood favorite from Grandpa and Grandma's! Isn't it funny how we have those memories? So, I crawled into bed last night, with my tasty, cozy treat, and thought back to all those wonderful times at the farm. What precious memories!

1 comment:

Erin said...

We are so, so fortunate to have those wonderful memories! And isn't it nice that something as simple as a bowl of cereal can be so appreciated when our day to day lives get crowded and bogged down with yucky stuff that a week from now we won't think twice about? I'm glad you got to enjoy that small moment. Lets continue to look for as many of those in our lives as possible! xoxo!