So, I've gotten over my frustration from my earlier post. Of course we'll have to see how tomorrow goes! Isn't it funny how when we are able to spill something out on paper (or in my case, on web) it helps us relax, and also to analyze how we felt and reassess where we were coming from? Man, if I would have realized long ago that this writing is so therapeutic, I'd have started much sooner.
So, as I reread my post, I started to think that maybe I'm not open to their perspectives. And it's possible that in some ways that was part of it. Class started with me feeling very insulted by #1's comment on mom's - it was very hurtful, especially because I was making an argument/defense for ALL women- how it's just an example of inequality. I wasn't even referring to myself. So, I wonder if I didn't channel some of that anger and sadness into a bit of a more narrow mind.
And, I do agree with their views, in some ways. If we don't educate our students on homosexuality, sex ed, equality, etc., then our society continues to stay the way it is - we don't progress. So I understand where they are coming from. But, I think they failed to understand the argument the rest of us were making. I wonder if they didn't perceive our ideas of why we wouldn't teach Kindergarteners the topic as an unwillingness - a denial - to teach about a very real and integral part of society.
So I guess, I sit here tonight wondering if I am close-minded too. I agree with some of what they brought up and many of their points, but I think that between two people having a debate, there has to be some give and take. Like I wrote previously, in order to feel valid and valued, one has to feel that they are being heard, that the words are being assessed, and that a response is given thoughtfully. There didn't seem to be much thought coming from these two.
But I do have a question, mainly for Laura (ask Adam too!) and Erin (and Bill - don't know when you'll get a chance to read this again :) What's your take on this? As a nontenured teacher, would you broach a controversial subject not in the curriculum without a student bringing it up? If you felt your career would be at risk, would you teach a controversial topic? And, how do you think that these two people's response to fellow educators affects or represents all that is right or wrong with education? I'm really interested to hear what you have to say, er...post!
1 comment:
Hi! Sorry, I haven't checked blogs in FOREVER! Personally, I feel first responsible for educating students in the "core subjects"... not limited to this, obviously, but this is my goal. My secondary goal, and the way I believe students learn the "information" is to educate them to work together. This means working with people of the opposite gender, different races, socio-economic status, etc. However, I don't take it upon myself to try to explain why everybody is what they are (I can't explain that to myself!) and instead work at learning to find qualities that we can all celebrate in each other. Bottom line - teamwork. So, will controversial topics arise? POSSIBLY. I wouldn't go so far as to say probably, because each group of students is unique - of course age will also play a factor. I like to think that I might handle such a situation as my French teacher did back when we were in high school. Our class was riled up about homosexuals in the military (from some speaker we had) and there were a lot of conflicting opinions. Mr. Swedin validated the fact that it was an important chance for us to talk as adults and left the classroom for us to have that discussion. I guess that's one of the beauties of this country; we are allowed to have our own beliefs. So, I guess, ultimately I believe it's our responsibility to teach history, what happened as a result of those events, and ask students to make the connections in their lives today. I believe in teaching facts and allowing students to make educated decisions.
Post a Comment