I am taking summer classes this term, continuing work on my Master's. While it's great to be learning and working my brain, I find myself a little irritated by a few nuances.
First, I wonder if I have become the SOTA - you know, the Student Older Than Average, that drives everyone nuts. I hope not. I know that I am a little conservative on some subjects, and have very liberal views on others. I know that I feel very strongly about my role as a mom, and what I want to get out of my education, so it worries me that I may be viewed in the wrong light.
BUT, what irritates me more, is the two very loudmouthed, extremely liberal people in both of my classes. They seem to have taken it upon themselves to disagree with everything I and others say in the class, and basically spew out their ultra- liberal, ultra-excessive, ultra-forward points at every moment. I thought that the point of learning, and continuing one's education was to open your mind, and see from other's point of view. I guess that's not the case when one thinks they are always right.
Case in point 1:
Today, we were discussing Multi-cultural Education, and the topic of women came up. I made the statement that outside of education, there is a real double standard. Women are not valued for having children. In fact, oftentimes, if a women has children it is harder to get hired, promoted, and raises. This is TRUE. This has been studied. It's been written about. It's part of the glass ceiling and part of the inequality against women. But, Loudmouth 1 insisted on pointing out that I was very wrong, and that as a teacher, she is always expected to be on every committee to stay late, and give more time. It was really insulting for a few reasons - first I had clarified "OUTSIDE EDUCATION." Second - many of us moms may leave right after the school day, but often we work until 12:00am to assure out work gets done. Third - I don't care how many kids I have...when and if I ever teach again, I will be at school late, get there early, advise, coach and participate as much as the next person. I felt that it was a slap in the face to me and all of the moms out there, who successfully juggle it all.
Case in Point 2:
We were discussing multicultural ed and a very well read member of the course stated that unless it came up, she wouldn't teach same-sex marriage to her Kindergarten students. Both Loudmouth's jumped all over her for this, chastising her for her feelings. She went on to explain that as an un-tenured teacher, she's in self-preservation mode. She said that if the opportunity arose, if a teachable moment came up, she would absolutely teach the subject...but it wasn't good enough for them. When I and another student attempted to point out that it's a hot topic right now, and society isn't ready, these two kept referring to desegregation. Ya know something, society wasn't ready then...it was MANDATED by the Government. When a student in the class who is in administration tried to defend us, saying that a lot of what we can and can't teach is mandated by the administrators, state and school boards, these two attempted to make us believe that they would spit in the face of all and do what they wanted. However, when further questioned,it became clear that if their jobs were on the line, they probably wouldn't be so cavalier.
It's so frustrating. It makes for good debate, but it also makes one wonder about education. It's great to want to change society, but it requires a open minded conversation and dialouge, not one in which you chastise others and criticize their very real and understandable reasons for why they may not teach something. If these two had been open to other points of view - not agree, but express understanding, then class would have been a bit more welcoming. It will be interesting to see how the semester wraps up.
Let me conclude by saying if these two were ultra-conservative I would feel the same. It basically revolves around the unwillingness to listen and think about where others are coming from. I agreed with many of their points, and so did others in the class. However, they did not afford us the same luxury.
3 comments:
Very interesting entry, Andrea--- Wow. I can see how you're frustrated, but hey: At least class isn't boring!
that is why college discussions are about as useful to society as a fart in the wind....
ross
its the credits that count not how you got them
Post a Comment