How does one get past these thoughts? Like I have said before, I love staying home, but I can not deny the fact that doing so will likely wreak havoc on any career I may have had. I love my kids more than anything, but can not deny that having them when I did likely impacted my career aspirations. And, while I am proud to have supported Jeff in getting his career off the ground, I can not deny the fact that doing so meant sacrificing what I wanted to do. What is so interesting to me (about all of this) is that we have supposedly had the women's movement, and women are "equal" to men. I don't buy it. If that were the case, women wouldn't be penalized for becoming moms. They wouldn't be penalized for taking time away from the career world to be "mom" for a little while.
This is a tough predicament. Part of the problem is that the FM area has 4 colleges and 2 tech schools which turn out thousands of grads each year who don't want to leave. So maybe, we'll have to take a big step and move...
But despite the fact that I worry about my future in the working world - I have three reasons to get up everyday and smile. Here's two of 'em:
-

And the third:
2 comments:
Amen to all you said about women who decide to have children not getting enough support...
But. I do believe you will get a job when you are ready and when it is right. You are such a personable, intelligent person, Andrea --- It will work. Maybe not right away, but something will happen for you. AND...you have these three beautiful beings in your life on top of it! (And Jeff!)
I'm thinking of you ---
:)
I would just like to say that I think you are doing the MOST IMPORTANT and MOST DIFFICULT job of all right now! A lot of people don't understand the energy that goes into raising your kids 24 hours a day! It's also not always easy to support your spouse in their dream on days when you feel it's at the expense of your own. Some days are better than others, right?
When you are ready to make a career switch (because I truly believe what you're doing right now constitutes as a job), you'll find the next path. I know how hard it is sometimes to be patient and listen for what God has in store, but in hind sight it always seems to work out.
Hope you've had some better days!
Post a Comment